Spravato (Esketamine) Nasal Spray Treatment
What is Spravato?
- Spravato is an FDA-approved prescription
medicine, used along with an antidepressant, for treatment-resistant depression
(TRD) in adults.
Spravato is the first and only NMDA
receptor antagonist. It works differently than currently available oral
Greater reduction of depression symptoms
at four weeks compared to those who received a placebo plus an oral antidepressant.
How am I considered as a candidate?
- If you have struggled with treatment-resistant
depression without adequate relief, schedule a consultation with our clinic to
discuss whether Spravato may be an option for you.
Do I need to be referred by a
- If referred by your psychiatrist, the
consultation with be a 30-minute-long visit. Otherwise, the consultation will
be an hour long visit to discuss your psychiatric condition and history.
How is it administered?
- Nasal spray you self-administer at a
certified Spravato treatment center, under the guidance and supervision of a
How often will I need to come in
- Spravato is taken twice a week for the
first four weeks
- After the first four weeks, Spravato is
taken once a week for a month
- After this, it is at your health care
What are other things to keep in
mind for the day of treatment?
- Patients should plan for a 2 hour visit
and arrange for a ride home.
- You cannot take a benzodiazepine or stimulant medication on the day of treatment.
What are potential side effects
from the medication?
- Most side effects are experienced within
the treatment session and resolve before discharge. These most commonly
include: sedation, disassociation, increased blood pressure. Your vital signs
will be measured periodically to ensure your safety.
take Spravato if you have:
- Blood vessel disease (aneurysm)
- An abnormal connection between your
blood vessels (arteriovenous malformation)
- History of bleeding in the brain
- Allergy to esketamine, ketamine or any
of the ingredients in Spravato
- Uncontrolled high blood pressure
- Active substance abuse
- Plans to become pregnant, are pregnant,
breastfeeding or planning to breastfeed.
- Please refer to spravato.com for more information. If
eligible, please call us to schedule a consultation. We are available for any questions
or concerns you may have.
Johnathan Pena-Bonilla, Practice Manager
Wafa Mehdi, PA-C
Katy, TX 77494